Use case - Robotics

Hey fellow creators,

I am Ivan and I recently found and started using Hasty as an annotation tool (I particularly LOVE using the DEXTR tool). The whole platform is very easy to use and a very dull task actually becomes pleasant.

I am developing a project for the Bulgarian Association of Agri-robotics that I am a co-founder of. For an agricultural robot to be able to be created I need computer vision. I would also need a robot manipulator or robot arm, which will do certain operations on the field and it would all be made alive by the help of ROS. For starters, I do need the robot to be able to see the field and evaluate where it needs to work.

Having gathered a number of photos of the produce, I started looking for easier to use and automated tools. Here is where Hasty comes in. It allows me to quickly put down a number of annotations by the assistance of its tools. My particular usage is Instance Segmentation.

Most of my photos I managed to tag with DEXTR because I can define crazier shapes. With time, the tool itself started getting really smart and rarely misses the shape, and I have just annotated about a thousand objects altogether. At some point, I started mostly leveraging the AI assistant for instance segmentation, which, again, rarely misses anymore.

After a sufficient number of cases are covered and I can safely say I have robustness of the model I am going to train, I am going to let ROS use it with a robot arm so it can harvest fruits and vegetables and perform other operations on the field. It’s hard work for sure. And Hasty DOES make my life easier!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the very nice feedback! Much appreciated